Thursday, January 20, 2011

Plenty BIG BEAR or Just what you want answering your Elk call.




  Big Bear shot Saddle Hills  Alberta, Sept 20/2010




It looks like Alaska to me.  But what do I know?

These two gents were calling elk  in the Saddle Hills south of Woking, Alberta when this big guy slipped  in on the caller. The Shooter spotted the bear about 8 yards from the  caller and dropped him with 5 shots out of his 338 Rem Mag.. 
Farmers in  the area knew about the bear but weren’t able to track after it had  killed 3 horses, 5 cows, 13 sheep and a pen full of chickens on several  different homesteads in the area. 
Fish and wildlife had bear traps set  up in the area but notice on surveillance video that whenever he would  enter his hump would hit the top of the culvert trap slowing him enough  that the trap door would wack him on the head before he was all the way  in the reap. 
Check out the scar tissue on his face. 
Bear weighed in just  under 1300 pounds and would have stood 11 ¾ feet tall on its hind  legs.




I  personally have seen a bear this big in North East Washington State.  These animals are still out there.  So hikers and farmers beware!

Want to see the Plenty big wolf taken in the Pacific North West?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Hip Hick Chick

Just read an article saying the bear was actually shot out in Alaska in 2007. I tend to believe the bear comes from Alaska instead of Alberta, I have seen them both up fairly close (within 300 feet) in the wild. The grizzlies on the coast grow much larger than the Alberta grizzlies, primarily because of the good foraging for food in the avalanche shoots in the spring and salmon in the fall. You are right though, that is one big bear.

HIP HICK CHICK who is always RIGHT said...

Thank you Johnny.
I do my best to check out what I post and I know I can still be wrong.
If so I apologize. I would also appreciate a link to what you found.
Please do share with everyone who takes the time to read the blog.

Post a Comment

HHC's most Popular Posts